HCFA-WA Annual Educational Conference & Meeting
Sat. Oct. 21st, 2023
1-3 pm - Doors open at 12:30
HCFA-WA Annual Educational Conference and Meeting
Lowering Drug Prices & 2024 Legislative Agenda
Horizon House - 900 University St., Seattle, WA 98101
RSVP here for in person or Zoom!
The harvest is in and it’s looking good, thanks to our summer of work in the field. We:
- discussed legislators’ plans for the 2024 Legislative Session
- hosted the July 15th WA-OR Health Advocacy Leaders Summit
- rallied to save Medicare from the medical industrial complex
- tracked the progress in the Universal Health Care Commission (UHCC) and Finance Technical Advisory Committee (FTAC)
Read on for the details!
All about ERISA: State based universal health care, large employers and ERISA
September’s FTAC meeting was jam packed. We had Bill Kramer discuss large employers’ perspectives on State-based universal health care (SBUHC) and Erin Fuse Brown on ERISA considerations for the UHCC.
Mr. Kramer highlighted that large employers can be open to SBUHC as the cost of health care has impacted their ability to remain competitive in their search for qualified employees.
Ms. Fuse Brown laid out a three point strategy that the UHCC could adapt to overcome an ERISA challenge.
There is so much to learn. To get the full skinny, visit the links below.
- Sign up to provide public comment by 5 p.m. the day before the meeting occurs. Please review what to expect when providing public comments.
- By contacting the HCA at any time. If you want your written comments to be included in an upcoming meeting, email your comments two weeks before that meeting occurs.
Pro Tip: Subscribe to receive announcements of future meetings in your own in-box.
Building Bridges Between Oregon and Washington Healthcare Advocates
By Marcia Stedman
Washington and Oregon lead the nation in developing universal state-based single-payer healthcare, and we’re collaborating!
In mid-July, 23 health justice leaders representing 14 organizations across both states gathered in Seattle and virtually to discuss the current status of our single-payer efforts and develop a vision for building on our victories. We:
- Strengthened relationships, communication, and cross-state collaboration.
- Shared information on policy, politics, and organizing.
- Agreed on a strategy for contacting our Congressional Representatives to co-sponsor the State Based Universal Health Care Act (HR 3775) – *see Take Action below
At our August 9th HCFA-WA 2nd Wednesday Speaker Series, 4 leaders shared victories and lessons learned
- Sandra Coyner – Health Care for All Oregon and Health Care for All Oregon-Action
- Ronnie Shure – Health Care for All-Washington President
- Marcia Stedman – Health Care for All-Washington Communications
- Charlie Swanson - Health Care for All Oregon-Action President
In addition, Chuck Pennacchio, the President of One Payer States, joined us to motivate other states to follow our pathway through reintroduction of the State-based Universal Health Care Act (HR 3775).
Ask your member of congress to co-sponsor Ro Khanna’s State Based Universal Health Care Act
We have partnered with Whole Washington to activate our entire state and remove a major barrier to universal health care in WA.
Please use our custom letter and contact your Member of Congress.
Ask them to co-sponsor Ro Khanna’s State Based Universal Health Care Act which will provide a federal pathway to create a state based universal health care system.
As part of the Federal Inflation Reduction Act, Medicare is now able to lower the cost of 10 prescription drugs. You can share your story at Opportunities for Public Input on Medicare Drug Price Negotiation Program: Patient-Focused Listening Sessions.
More information on the First 10 Drugs chosen for Medicare price negotiations and the nearly $100 billion in predicted savings.
Drugmaker Eli Lilly caps the cost of insulin at $35 a month, bringing relief for millions. The move puts the drugmaker in line with a popular provision in the Inflation Reduction Act that capped the medication’s cost for seniors on Medicare.
Investment bankers turn publicly funded pharmaceuticals into privately held gold mines. Reforming the patent system would change that.
Thurs, Oct. 12
Universal Health Care Commission (UHCC)
Materials and Zoom link will be posted at Upcoming meetings and materials page.
Mon, Oct. 16
Dr. Ed Weisbart, MD, webinar on Medicare (dis)Advantage. Open Season: Corporate health insurers are targeting our seniors!
Mon, Oct. 16
Jon Shelton, speaking on Jobs, Housing, Education, and Healthcare: Why Americans Should Fight for Universal Rights
Presented by Physicians for a National Health Program Washington
Wed, Oct. 18
The Health Care Cost Transparency Board (HCCTB)
Sat, Oct. 21
HCFA-WA Annual Educational Conference & Meeting: “Lowering the Cost of Prescription Drugs"
In person in Seattle at Horizon House and on Zoom. Pre-register here
The perfect gift for every universal health care supporter, any time of year: Everybody In, Nobody Out t-shirts, winter scarves, and umbrellas.
★ Editors: Consuelo Echeverria & Marcia Stedman ★
★ Graphics & Communications Specialist: Sydnie Jones ★
★ President: Ronnie Shure ★